Tuko and Me

Saturday, October 12, 2013


It is 9:45 PM and I am sitting in the kitchen with a tuko lizard on the ceiling above my head. He’s about 8 inches long: shorter than my foot. We’re not much afraid of each other. Just enough to induce a mutual respect, I would say. I could stomp him to death; he could give me a bite to remember. But hey, we’re not in competition here. I don’t eat bugs and mice and he won’t eat anything which refuses to crawl, fly, slither or hop.

It’s a kind of unspoken agreement. I give him a place to hang out - with family if he so desires - and he helps keep the population down to 5 people, one dog, an occasional unwary pest, and a horde of transient ants (not his cup of tea).

Emelie had a family of tukos living in the tiny bedroom of her mountain home and she never had a run-in with one of them. But she did get bit by one when she was young, while climbing to the top of a coconut tree. He was on the other side of the tree when she reached around to get a hand-hold.

The lizards, and any other animal life that live at the top of the coconut tree (including rats and bats) can bask in the relief of knowing that I will never be climbing a tree to greet them.

Mr. Tuko here is just a young one. He will grow a couple more inches and fatten up considerably. In the house we rented before building this one, we had one living behind our dresser, where he rested up during the day for his nighttime foraging. He lived there a year and then disappeared for another year and finally came back to stay.

I like lizards and snakes, which is, I suppose, on the outer fringe of the American-standard-attitude toward such beasts.

Hopeful

I didn’t feel so good this morning. I woke up wishing I hadn’t. My wife wrapped her body around me and held me until …until Shane pried her way between us and nested there like a worm in wet spaghetti. We laid motionless and all-huggy as if we were holding out for something spectacular enough to give us a reason to disengage and start the day.

For me, it didn’t happen. My lungs were dragging along in ‘sorry ass’ mode most of the day. My recollection of the rest of the day resides in that part of my brain where memories are wrapped in a self-protective haze and labeled “Do Not Open sans ‘Fresh Perspective’!” 

I think the fresh perspective might just be getting a foot-hold. Tonight I feel much better, and tomorrow holds the possibility that there could be another jewel-of-a-moment for me when my wife, the sun and daughter arise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment