Don't Forget the Legs. Mmmmmm...!

I was watching our teenage boys play, while toying lazily with my food.

"So, the winner eats the loser?” I asked.

“Yes” replied Clyde.

“Sounds delicious!” I exclaimed.

Clyde chuckled. 

It was after dark, on another peaceful evening, following a relaxing day without event. I could hear the playful splashing of the ocean against the seawall, across the street. 

We were sitting around the kitchen table. Clyde and Joseph were teasing their fighting spiders into a frenzy; readying them for battle. One dropped from the broom-straw Clyde held in his hand. It hit the table and sprinted in front of my plate of sardines and rice. I blocked it with my hand and Clyde reclaimed it.

Each boy had a straw with two live spiders on it and one dead spider dangling from the straw and ensconced in a cocoon of spider silk. These dead ones were the losers from the previous fights. The victors will eat them at their leisure. The live spiders were bungee-jumping on their silk, to get away from each other on the straws. The boys caught them before they hit the table (most of the time), wrapped their silk around the straw and encouraged the spiders to fight.

I finished my food, had a few sips of coconut wine, and fell into a reverie about my life here in the Philippines. It really isn't much different than life in the United States, I thought. I eat, I sleep; do a little work now and then. We go for rides in the tricycle, take trips to the island across from us and trips to Cebu City sometimes. 


Yup! Just an ordinary life... once you get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment